1. Our Commitment to Privacy
2. The Information We Collect
GiveCampus strives to provide a great user experience without requiring you to submit any more Personally Identifiable Information ("PII") than is necessary to use the Site effectively. We do not require you to register or submit PII in order to visit the Site. Many activities on the Site can be performed without providing PII. When we ask for PII to, for instance, participate in an activity, set up an account or campaign, or make a donation, we will not require anyone to disclose more PII than we believe is reasonably necessary to participate in the activity. Depending on your use of GiveCampus, the information we collect may include:
- information that you provide by completing forms on the Site, including if you register as a user of the Service, make a donation, subscribe to our newsletters, upload or submit any material through the Site, or request any information;
- your login and password details, in connection with the account sign-in process;
- details of any requests or transactions you make through the Service;
- information about your activity on and interaction with the Site and Services, such as your IP address and the device or browser you use;
- communications you send to us (for example, when you ask for support, send us questions or comments, or report a problem); and
- information that you submit to the Site in the form of comments, contributions to discussions, or messages to other users.
2.1. Personally Identifiable Information
We may receive and store any information you enter on the Site or provide to us in any other way through or via the Site that would allow us to identify you personally or contact you. Examples of PII we may collect from you:
- If you register for a GiveCampus account, we collect your name, your email address, information about your educational history and, if you choose, information from any social networking site with which you connect to GiveCampus, as well as any photos or videos that you upload to the Site.
- PII you provide about yourself when you send us an email or contact us.
- PII you provide about yourself on your profile page, a campaign page or anywhere else on the Site.
- We may obtain address information about you from third-party sources for fraud prevention or for legal compliance.
Note: You can choose not to provide us with certain PII, but then you may not be able to take advantage of all of the services and products offered on the Site.
2.2. Non Personally Identifiable Information
From time to time, we may also ask you to provide us with non-PII that is data that is not intended to allow us to identify you personally, such as your first name, birthday or zip code. Your non-PII may be aggregated and used for our internal purposes or for creating reports for third-party advertisers and partners, or otherwise shared with third parties for any lawful purpose, without your permission. No third-party is intended to be able to know who you are as a result of the use of your non-PII.
3. Passive Gathering of Information Electronically
Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you usually can change your browser to limit or prevent cookies. Cookies in themselves do not personally identify the individual user, but rather the computer that is being used to access the Site. You may have the opportunity to set your computer to accept all cookies, to notify you when a cookie is issued, or to not receive cookies at any time. Different browsers may address cookies differently. If you set your browser to not accept cookies, it may result in certain personalized services not being provided to you when you use that computer.
3.2. Google Analytics
3.3. E-mail Communications
When you send an email to GiveCampus, we may retain your email address and the contents of the email you send.
4. How We Use Information
We will use the personal information you provide for a variety of purposes, including to:
- identify you when you sign in to your account;
- enable us to provide you with the Services;
- send you information we think you may find useful or which you have requested from us;
- present campaigns and other content to you when you use the Service which we believe will be of interest;
- administer your account with us, process donations, provide products or services to you and for GiveCampus marketing and promotional activities;
- provide a report to a school to whom you have made a donation or otherwise supported through a campaign (even if you have asked that your name not be publicly displayed on the campaign page);
- notify the creator of a campaign that you have supported their campaign;
- facilitate communication between us and you including, without limitation, responding to your questions or comments, sending emails concerning our products and services, or to contact you for feedback regarding us, advertisers or business partners;
- analyze the use of the Service and the people visiting to improve our content and Services;
- use for other purposes that we may disclose to you when we request your information;
- customize, analyze, adjust and improve the Site to meet our, advertisers' or business partners' needs and expectations;
- enforce our agreements with you, prevent fraud and other prohibited or illegal activities, for other legally permissible purposes and generally to ensure that we comply with applicable laws.
5. How We Don't Use Your Information
We take securing your data and preserving your privacy very seriously. As such, the following information about you will never be publicly displayed or revealed to other users:
- your credit card details or other payment information;
- your password details;
- your IP address; or
- communications you send to us (for example, when you ask for support, send us questions or comments, or report a problem).
Additionally, we will never post anything to your Facebook, Twitter, or other third-party accounts without your permission.
6. Accessing or Changing Your PII
You can modify, delete, or correct inaccuracies in your PII by logging into your account and updating your profile. We may retain certain information as required by law or for necessary business purposes. On request, we will give you a copy of all the personal information about you that we hold. This information is subject to a fee not exceeding the prescribed fee permitted by law.
7. Disclosure of Information to Third Parties
In general, we don’t give your personal information to any third-party services unless it’s necessary to provide our Service (like when you make a charitable gift to a school or when we partner with payment processors to facilitate such a gift). We may give, share, sell or trade your PII to or with any third parties as follows:
7.1. Campaign creators
When you support a campaign, the creator will be notified that you did so, unless you choose not to have your name displayed on the campaign page. The creator will not receive the details/amount of your pledge/donation, your email address, or your credit card details or other payment information. The fact that you support a campaign—whether by making a donation or through some form of Advocacy—will be displayed on your profile page, if you have one, unless you request that your name not be publicly displayed on the campaign page.
7.2. Educational Institutions
When you make a donation to or otherwise support a school on GiveCampus, we share certain information about you with that school. This information may include your name, address, ZIP code, email address, donation amount, and date of transaction, the name of the campaign or other purpose associated with the donation, and any other data that you provide when making your donation or carrying out another form of support on GiveCampus. If you wish to stop receiving communications from the school, please contact the school directly.
7.3. Service Providers
We may retain other companies and individuals to perform certain functions on our behalf. Examples include, but are not limited to, companies and individuals who: (i) process donations; (ii) conduct surveys or promotional activities; (ii) deliver products; or (iv) provide customer support, web hosting, internet service, and data analysis. Such third parties may be provided with access to PII needed to perform their functions but may not use such information for any other purpose.
When you upload a video to GiveCampus, either for a campaign or as part of a Personal Plea for a campaign, we partner with Vimeo to host that video so that others can view it. Thus, if you upload a video to GiveCampus, you also agree to Vimeo’s terms and their privacy policies with respect to that video and the information associated with it.
7.4. Compliance with Law and Fraud Protection
7.5. Sale or Transfer of Information
In the event of a sale, merger, liquidation, dissolution or sale or transfer of substantially all of the assets of GiveCampus or the Site, PII and/or other information collected about you from the Site may be sold, assigned or transferred to the party acquiring all or substantially all of the equity and/or assets of GiveCampus or the Site in order to permit the party to continue the operation of GiveCampus and/or the Site or any successor version of the Site. By using the Site and providing PII to GiveCampus, you consent to the sale and transfer of your information as described in this paragraph.
8. Credit Card Information
GiveCampus does not collect, store or otherwise maintain any credit card information from individuals who make a donation through the Site. Donations, including information associated with your credit card, are processed by our dedicated payments partners (e.g. WePay), by a school, or by a dedicated payments partner of a school. All information associated with your use of WePay or one of these other entities will be handled in accordance with that entity’s terms. For example, when you donate through GiveCampus and use WePay to process your donation, your credit card information will be handled in accordance with WePay’s terms and privacy policies.
9. Information You Publicly Post
Any PII you post publicly on the Site (“Publicly Available Content”) is available to the public without any expectation of privacy or confidentiality. Copies may remain viewable in cached and archived pages or if other users have copied or stored your Publicly Available Content even if you remove the Publicly Available Content. To request removal of your personal information from these areas of the site, contact us using the information below. In some cases, we may not be able to remove your personal information, in which case we will let you know if we are unable to do so and why. The profile you create on our site will be publicly visible.
9.1. Your profile
When you create an account, your profile page will display your name, any education history you provide (or that we access, with your permission, from other sources), your picture (if you upload one to GiveCampus or if you give us permission to access your profile picture from other sources), and a list of the campaigns you have supported or created (but not any specifics about donation amounts), as well as the way(s) in which you supported them (e.g., by making a donation) and any information you choose to add to your profile. Whenever your account name appears on the site, people can click your account name to see your profile.
9.2. Facebook and Other Social Networking Sites
The Site allow users to access Facebook and Twitter to interact with friends and to share on Facebook and Twitter. Users may also register for GiveCampus using their Facebook account. If you do this, we may receive information from Facebook to make it easier for you to create an Account on the Site and to enable us to show you relevant content from your Facebook friends. Any information that we collect from your Facebook account may depend on the privacy settings you have with Facebook, so please consult Facebook’s privacy and data practices.
10. Important Disclosures, Practices and Contact Information
10.1. Third-party Links
GiveCampus may contain links to third-party websites. Please be aware that GiveCampus cannot control and is not responsible for the information collection practices of such websites, which may differ from those of GiveCampus. We encourage you to review and understand the privacy policies of these web sites before providing any information to them.
10.2. Data Security
We maintain a variety of safeguards designed to protect your PII from unauthorized access and disclosure. You should be aware, however, that GiveCampus has no control over the security of other websites on the Internet that you might visit even when a link may appear to those websites from our Site. If you share your computer or use a computer that is accessed by the general public, remember to sign off and close your browser window when you have finished your session. This will help to ensure that others cannot access your PII.
We want you to feel confident using the Site. However, no system can be completely secure. Therefore, although we take commercially reasonable steps to secure your information, we do not promise, and you should not expect, that your PII, searches or other communications always will remain secure. In the event of a breach of the confidentiality or security of your PII, we will notify you if reasonably possible and as reasonably necessary so that you can take appropriate protective steps. We may notify you under such circumstances using the email address(es) we have on record for you. You should also take care with how you handle and disclose your PII.
GiveCampus is not intended for persons under the age of 13. GiveCampus does not knowingly market to, or solicit information, accept service or collect information from any person under the age of 13. If GiveCampus becomes aware that any person submitting information to the Site is under the age of 13, we will attempt to delete the account and any related information as soon as possible. We require that only persons 13 years of age or older use the Site. By using the Site, you hereby represent that you are at least 13 years old.
10.5. Users From Outside the United States
10.6. No Rights of Third Parties
10.7. California Privacy Rights
If you are a California resident, California law permits you to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their “direct marketing purposes” as such term is defined by California’s Shine the Light Law (California Civil Code 1798.83). To make such a request, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will provide a list of the categories of personal information disclosed to third parties for third-party direct marketing purposes, along with the names and addresses of these third parties. This request may be made no more than once per calendar year. We reserve our right not to respond to requests submitted other than to the email address specified above. You should put “California Privacy Rights” in the subject line and in your request. You must provide GiveCampus with specific information regarding yourself so GiveCampus can accurately respond to the request.
11. Contacting Us
Updated: March 2015